What does E27 mean for lamps?
Lights have different sockets into which only certain lamp bases fit. The designation E27 stands for the size and diameter of the Edison screw base - named after the developer of the base thread Thomas Edison. The lamp base of an E27 lamp has a diameter of 27 mm and is fixed in the lamp socket of the light. A light with an E27 socket therefore needs a bulb with an E27 base.
How many watts does an E27 LED bulb have?
The brightness and the socket of the light source are independent of each other. The brightness of an incandescent lamp is expressed in watts: the higher the wattage, the brighter the lamp shines. The brightness of E27 LED bulbs, on the other hand, is measured in lumens (lm), the unit for luminous flux. With far fewer lumens per watt, an LED achieves the same brightness as an incandescent bulb. The LED light source therefore has a better luminous efficacy. They are available from under 50 lm/W to over 1100 lm/W, with 470 lumens being roughly equivalent to a 40 watt incandescent bulb.
Use of E27 LED lamps
LEDs (short for light-emitting diodes) serve as replacements for now-banned light sources such as the incandescent bulb, the energy-saving bulband the halogen lamp. LEDs offer several advantages:
- Luminous efficacy: They have a longer life and greater luminous efficacy than the conventional incandescent bulb, i.e. a higher energy efficiency.
- Sockets: Because they have the same base, E27 LEDs fit into the original sockets of E27 incandescent lamps.
- Light colour: LED light sources with an E27 base come in different versions. With many smart light sources such as those from Philips Hue or Ledvance (formerly OSRAM), the light colour can be changed. The lighting can then be set to any other colour such as yellow or blue.
- Colour temperature: With some models of E27 LED light bulbs, the colour temperature can be adjusted from warm white to cool white to daylight white. The colour temperature is measured by Kelvin and can be controlled by CCT - Controlled Color Temperature - for example by means of a remote control.
- Dimmability: Some models of E27 LED lamps that have a corresponding marking are dimmable. They can be dimmed via a remote control or app.
Features of E27 Light Sources
LED bulbs with E27 base come in different designs and shapes. The following shapes are usually available:
- the "classic" shape: the bulb shape
- the candle shape
- the spherical shape
The E27 bulbs with the shapes that resemble pears, candles or spheres according to their designations are also available with various special features:
- There are LED bulbs for smart home systems. These Wifi LEDs can be connected to the WLAN and conveniently controlled via a corresponding app.
- Some bulbs for E27 sockets have a remote control that can be used to switch them on and off or change their colour.
- There are not only conventional LED lamps in the range, but also stylish E27 filament lamps, for which the filaments inside are characteristic. These imitate traditional light bulbs with filaments: the more the light is dimmed, the warmer it appears. As a result, they create a warm, pleasant light for an atmospheric ambience.
Whether dimmable, with remote control or Smart Home compatible: the practical filter function in our online shop makes it quick and easy to find the right model for every light.